This is a drum solo about:
1. Life cycles of make-up (decomposing) and rhythm cycles of drums (decomposing);
2. Documentation of materials from a time (pre- June 2020) when colours of skin (Black and Brown) would be left over barely used within the 'aspirational' image making sector;
3. Discontinued make-up (the updated formulation of this skin make-up contains 3 types of silicone) and the
ethics of ingredients changing with time;
4. Time, drum-time and the changing smell of plant based time-responsive make-up;
5. 4D moved to 3D (party poi movements), collapsed to 2D (skins), painted and then reimagined back to 4D (time).
During the late naughties Crystabel Riley toured Japan and Europe using drums, electronics and make-up in noise trio Maria and the Mirrors. This was the start of her interest in patterns on skins - human and drum.
She was later encouraged - and welcomed - into the Horse Improvised Music Club by Daniel Thompson and Sue Lynch respectively. This instantly consolidated into weekly playing with Sue, who she still collaborates with.
She is currently working on the multi-format duo project @xcrswx with Seymour Wright. This contrasts the LIVE (evolved sounds / patience / relentless) and the ANDROID (cropped media [sounds+visuals] / impatience / InstantPublication).